1. Your Name: Laural Armstrong
2. Graduating Class of ICN: 1974
3. Favorite Memory at Norcom: Voted Most Talkative as Senior Superlative; Being in the Child Development class where I went to James Hurst Elementary School to work with a class to assist the teacher; Be an usher when the chorus when they did the play "Pearlie "; My friend Jilly Holley was crowned Ms. Homecoming.
4. Your goal for the position you hold this year: My goal as Chair of Scholarship Committee is to continue to touch the lives of the graduating seniors by: A. providing them with financial help to achieve their goals as they enroll in a college or university without having to seek loans; B. contact ICN Alumni to give back by offering scholarships to students in their areas of interest; C. to assist the senior counselor in getting the information to the graduating seniors D. to work closely with the members of the committee as we get our applications back to score and award the scholarships.
5. Favorite Quote: My favorite quote still is our 1974 class Motto: " Let Us Resign Ourselves To Accept What Is Real, But Allow Ourselves To Dream What Is Not."
6. Favorite Teacher/Admin at Norcom: My favorite teacher was my homeroom
teacher Mr. Jim Roberts that retired a few years ago from Chesapeake Public Schools as Superintendent. My favorite administrator was AP Lindell Wallace now a great friend.
7. What's your professional background/what do you do for a living and how long have you been doing it? If you are retired...what DID you do? I attended Norfolk State College(now Norfolk State University) with a degree in Elementary Education NK-3; Graduated in 1978; started teaching 2nd
grade in September 1978 in PPS. I taught for 35 years (Churchland Academy, S.H.Clarke Academy and retiring from Lakeview Elementary with 35 years of service
8. What advice would you give your teenage self? Always keep God first, remember to strive to do your best, be respectful and kind.
9. What's the first concert you ever attended?The Jackson Five(I.think).
10. Favorite memory or favorite place to visit in Portsmouth? My favorite place to visit as a teen was going to parades in downtown Portsmouth and Frank D. Lawrence Stadium to watch ICN games, ICN band with Emory Fears the band director , going to Norfolk State to watch NSU band, going to MEAC and visiting family in Ahoskie.
11. Your Pet Peeve- Parents not correcting their children, allowing them to talk back to them and other adults.
12. Guilty Pleasure Loving and buying 31/2 or higher stilettos shoes and wearing them everyday.